Pages

18 June 2012

Coping With Homesickness While Living Abroad

In July, I'll have been in England for a year; however, that doesn't make being away from home any easier. Every so often, I get a twinge of homesickness which turns into a fit of tears. It's not just missing home; it's  also feeling alone and unwanted (what a wuss, right?). I thought I'd get over it eventually, but homesickness never really seems to go away - at least, in my case. However, I'm not discouraging anyone from moving abroad; it just might be a bit difficult at times, and I want to share a few things I have discovered help when it comes to coping with homesickness.

Keep Busy. It's really easy to stay in bed all day and eat Doritos (I should know); but, making the effort to get out of the house and fill your days will mean that you're focusing on something other than how much you miss home.

Make Friends. Being out of school and working from home means that I don't have many opportunities to meet new people and make long-term friends. So, I find that taking a class will help you meet with local people that have similar interests. It's a great way to strike up a friendship. I'd also suggest volunteering. Just having one good local friend is enough to make you feel less alone.

Take Part in Familiar Activities. Sometimes, it's comforting to be reminded of home, so I try to do things that I inherently associate with being in Canada. And, it can be the simplest things. While British period dramas are thrilling, I like to keep up with my favourite American TV shows online - namely The Real Housewives series (which I spent many hours watching with my mum). It even helps to indulge in foods from home. For example, you can't get Lucky Charms, Pop Tarts or Sweet Tarts in England. So, seek out some of your favourite snacks on eBay or have your family send you a care package.  Helpful hint: Selfridges has an American candy department; expensive but worth it. 

Write Home.
Send postcards and letters to your loved ones back home. Sometimes, it's difficult to keep in touch via Facebook or phone because of the time difference, and writing letters is a great way to stay connected to your friends and family.

Let It All Out. Luckily, I have a couple of wonderful people in my life who are always there to listen to me when I want to cry about missing home. They'll understand: it is difficult and it is scary, and it's really helpful to know that you have a shoulder to cry on.

So, I hope these tips help. Stay active and be social to keep the homesick blues away.

Other posts you might enjoy:


No comments:

Post a Comment